|Commissioner-at-Large Jose Rafael Cruz with the youth of SOCCSKSARGEN.|
The issue about Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) Reform and SK Abolition create a “divide” in the Filipino youth. Some would go for reform while other prefer for abolition. Last July 18, 2014, Commissioner-at-Large Jose Rafael S. Cruz of the National Youth Commission conducted a meeting to the youth in SOCCSKSARGEN to discuss about the importance of SK Reform.
In the video below, Comm. Cruz shares the good contribution of SK and the importance of reform to have more transparency and accountability.
Key points of the SK Bill
- age range for SK: 18-24
- strengthening of the Katipunan ng Kabataan (KK) as an accountability mechanism
- a Youth development council (Katipunang Pangkaunlaran ng Kabataan/KPK)
- Anti-dynasty provision
- fiscal autonomy and budget process
- SK functions are more detailed
- SK official’s privileges are spelled out
- removal from office, succession and filling out of vacancies are detailed
- clear role for NYC in administering trainings for SK
- autonomy of SK National Federation, still to report to the Office of the President through DILG
Leave a comment below and let me know what you think.